Pages

3/30/11
Negotiations

So yeah. Still here, doing the baby thing. Eat, sleep, poop, repeat. But while I'm still operating on about three minutes of sleep, things are getting better. We're slowly learning each other's schedule. Every day, we get a tiny bit more in sync.

Little Bit: I'm hungry!


Me: I just fed you! In fact, you still have milk on your chin!


LB: Oh yeah. Well then, what do you want to do?


Me: I have an idea! Why don't we take a nap? Wouldn't that be fun?


LB: Eh. I already napped for five whole minutes fourteen hours ago. Why would I want to do it again?


Me: Well, how about you sit quietly while I nap?


LB: Sounds boring. How long did you want to do this?


Me: Three hours?


LB: No way! How about ten minutes?


Me: How about two and a half hours?


LB: A half hour, with an option for a ten minute cry in the middle in which I will be absolutely inconsolable.


Me: An hour, and no inconsolable cry.


LB: No deal. I need the cry. The cry is non-negotiable.


Me: Fine. How about forty-five minutes, with a three minute cry?


LB: Eight.


Me: Five.


LB: Right in the middle of your REM sleep?


Me: (sigh) Okay.


LB: Throw in a twenty-five minute nurse and a full wardrobe change after my diaper leaks and we'll have a deal.


Me: Anything.


LB: Sweet. Do your nap thing then. The clock is ticking.

I feel like maybe I got the short end of the stick on this one, but I don't care. Little Bit is better at this negotiation thing than I am.