Pages

10/11/09
Corelli's Mandolin

I know I keep doing book reviews on here, and you're probably all "Quit reading and go do something funny and/or humiliating already", but I just had to pop in and say that I just finished Corelli's Mandolin and I absolutely loved it. I laughed even as I cried, and by the end of the book, the characters will feel like family to you. It was brilliant and witty while also being horrifying and brutal. The writing is honest and laugh out loud tongue-in-cheek. It'll tear you up and turn you inside out, but you'll love every minute of it. I'm putting the other books of the "trilogy" on my list right away".

5 comments:

Quirk's Mom said...

Is Corelli's the first in the trilogy? And is it a real trilogy (you DID use quotes) or just three books written by the same author?

Holly said...

I've never read that book, but I've heard of the movie, so maybe it's something I ought to look for at the library. :)

smc said...

I saw you read Survival of the Prettiest - how was that? I've read a couple of reviews that took issue with her approach, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Quirky said...

I liked Survival of the Prettiest, although there were a couple of times that she implied stuff from the research that I thought was a bit of a stretch. Still, overall, I found it rather illuminating.

For Mom, I've included a link to all the books for Louis de Bernières:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&sort=relevancerank&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Louis%20de%20Berni%C3%A8res

Quirky said...

Holly, I haven't seen the movie, so I couldn't tell you if it compares or not. But you will love the book. Totally recommend it!