Pages

2/5/07
SuperBowl ads

Payton won!!! Payton won!!! (well, along with those other Colts) but Peyton won!!! I'm very happy for him. Now no one will ever be able to say that he chokes on the big game again. And that about sums up any resulting interest I had in the game. On to the commercials:


The Best:
I like the Blockbuster ad with the mouse the best. I can't remember why Blockbuster wanted you to get online, but I thought that the overall commercial was funny, so it's a thumbs up for me. I also liked the new career builder jungle spots, especially because I've got a review coming up, and that definitely captures the overall feeling. (Also, guy-with-a-binder-on-his-head? Absolute riot). I like the homemade Doritos commercial also. I liked it better than most of the multi-million dollar commercials that everybody else did. And props to Sprint for "connectile dysfunction". I'm making that part of my everyday vocabulary whenever I drop a call. I know that the Rock Paper Scissors ad got some high scores for funniness, but I only rated it as okay. I mean, he hits the other guy in the head with a rock. Give me word play, or at least an animated mouse.

Flops:
The GoDaddy ads. I know, I know, they had to do something with the big bosomed ladies wearing the GoDaddy tanks, but c'mon. Enough already. What IS GoDaddy anyway? Also, the GM ad where the robot gets fired and jumps off a bridge? How horrible is that! GM just laid off a bunch of people! Are they suggesting that they all go jump off bridges? I now hate GM for making the robot feel bad, even if it was just a dream. Also bad in my book: The Evil Mapasaurus ad. Maybe I'm too young to appreciate the whole Japanese-monster-eats-the-city deal so the whole thing just came off as cheesy to me. Tony and I just looked each other. Tony's comment: "Somebody just got fired over that one". And the Snickers kiss? Also a thumbs down in my book. Ignoring the homophobia for a second; what makes ripping out chest hair manly? Besides, no part of that commercial made me want to eat a Snickers, which is really saying something, because it doesn't take much to trigger a chocolate craving for me. Lastly, the beard comb-over ad. Just...ew.

In case you want to relive all of them: http://www.myspace.com/superspots