Pages

4/25/08
The Reunion

I just received an email that my 10 year high school reunion is coming up in a few months. I have mixed feelings about this. I don't really want to go because 1) it's a party and I hate parties, and 2) I didn't really have many close friends from my class. I mean, I had friends, but no one I've kept up with once we left. It's almost like that chapter of my life closed when we all graduated, and I'm not really sure I want to open it up again. And I've never been one of those people to wax poetic about the good old days. Plus, I could never ever in a billion years convince Tony to go, and I wouldn't want to go by myself.

Oh and I'm horrible with remembering names and faces, so it's not like I'm going to remember anybody, and I've found that forgetting people exist tends to make them feel uncomfortable. So there. I'm not going.

Except...reunions are major milestones, and what if I look back later and wish that I had gone? So maybe I should go. I mean, I don't want to regret missing it 50 years from now.

Not that I would. Regret missing it that is. It's a party with a bunch of people who I don't remember anymore. Not going.

Although it might be nice to find out what everybody does now. The people I hung out with anyway. I wonder what they've done with their lives? I could go.

Unless they've only done really boring stuff that I'd be stuck listening to all night. No thanks.

Except then I would totally be able to redeem myself for some of my perpetual dorkiness by showing them that I have managed to become a semi-normal functioning member of society. That would be nice. Look at Quirky, she's not the geek you thought she was! Maybe going.

Unless they're all like rock stars and Nobel prize winners and Senators now. Then I would seem like the boring one. Not going.

I could just go and check it out and leave if it was lousy. There's nothing saying that I HAVE to stay all night. Right?

Yeah, nothing but the three hour drive there and back for a party you won't want to stay at for more than 15 minutes. Have you seen gas prices lately?

Back and forth! Forth and back! It's making me crazy. I need some advice, cyber pals. Did you go to your last high school reunion? Was it any fun at all? If you didn't, did you regret not going later? Help a Quirky out here.

And is there a way to avoid the party but still get the after-party summary? Like a newsletter that says, Bobbie Jo is a teacher, Michael lost all his hair, Larry is dating a supermodel, Suzie got fat, Timmy won the lottery, and that nerdy guy who played the French horn is now running a numbers game from the state pen. All the gossip, none of the small talk. I could go for that.

Just as long as the newsletter lists me as the rock star Senator with a Nobel prize.

14 comments:

FunnyGal KAT said...

I went to my 10 year high school reunion and.... eh. It was OK. The whole night was asking and answering the question, "So what are you doing now?"

There were some random hookups (not by yours truly although one of the reasons I went was because I was single at the time and thought it might be fun to reconnect with someone I went to high school with).

I skipped my college reunion and don't regret it because I assume it would be the same as the high school one.

So, yeah, don't feel as though you're missing that good of a time (but I totally understand wanting to go prove something to everyone... that was one of my reasons too).

Ami said...

This may or may not help, but here's my experience. I went to my 10 year high school reunion and rather enjoyed it. Of course, my class was 30 people and only about 15 showed up. It was small and intimate and we promptly did the obligatory, "What are you doing now?" conversations and then broke off into small groups of people we could tolerate for more than a few minutes. I liked seeing everyone, but I have also kept in touch with a few people over the years, so it wasn't completely awkward. Also, I had just lost a lot of weight and was ready to show it off to people who had judged me pretty harshly for my entire high school career. Who wouldn't love hearing "You really look great!" over and over again? (Take THAT you snotty, skinny, stuck up...Oh, ehem, sorry.)

On the other hand, my 10 year college reunion (is that really possible?) is next month and I'm totally not going to that one and know I won't regret it. I'd hate going through the "Who are you again?" and "I'm trying to prove to everyone how great life is for me" thing and all the acts that people feel like they have to put on in those situations. Plus, I didn't have a large group of friends in college and anyone I want to see I still keep in touch with and can see whenever I want.

Not much for advice, but it's all I've got. :)

Anonymous said...

I haven't gone to one reunion yet (*ack* the 20th will be this year!!!) and more than likely won't go to one. Mostly just due to timing and location (Thanksgiving weekend in Jersey, yeah, I see that coming). But also because like you, I didn't forge all that many lasting friendships. And my one good friend is still a friend and we see each other when we can - and I'll be at his wedding in June.

smc said...

Well, I think you should go. I mean, you might be surprised and have a good time. And if you don't, you can bail and meet up with Nicole for the night instead.

No sense regretting missing it, because there is no better way to catch up on the gossip.

Jean said...

I went to mine and enjoyed it. It was pretty funny cause the same clicks were all grouped together just like old times. They did a montage of old highschool pics with songs from the 90s, and then gave us the DVD. I enjoyed it but my poor hubby was not amused. I probably will go alone for my 20th.

Anonymous said...

My 10 year is supposed to be coming up this year as well. Luckily, (or maybe not so luckily) I'm from a very small town, so it's not hard to remember the 28 people from my graduating class. Especially considering I still see some of them often. I've always thought reunions where you wouldn't remember some or most of the people from your graduating class would be awkward. I don't know if I would go.

RubiaLala said...

I didn't go to my ten year high school reunion last year. I see a few people in certain areas of my life who are from high school (wouldn't call them friends, just acquaintances). I didn't stay friends with anyone from high school, not really for any bad reasons, just going separate ways.

I just was not interested, for many of the reasons you mentioned. But I saw someone after the reunion - someone I see in town now and then - and they said it was really nice, nobody was acting superior or anything. And then she said, "So-and-so asked if you were coming and if I knew how you were doing."

Done. The regret hit immediately and has not gone away since. It was just nice to know that someone had actually missed me and had even made an effort to ask about me. Boring, ordinary me.

And now I have to wait nine years for the next reunion.

Anonymous said...

I think you should go. I have a feeling you won't be finding that anyone has won a Nobel Prize. :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, bail and hang out with me. I'm probably not going to mine, for the simple fact that it cost $65 to go somewhere where I can see any day of the week for less that $10 to attempt to talk to people over loud dj music. Not my thing. But if they have a family picnic, i might go to that.

Anonymous said...

I didn't go to mine (it was last year). My best friend went though and brought back pictures and a full report of everyone who was there and I was SO glad I didn't go. I got to see pics and hear a report of all the non-fabulous stuff everyone was doing and didn't have to subject myself to actually finding an appropriate outfit and pay the $80 to go. :)

CortneyTree said...

I was very very very much on the fence about going to mine, so much so that I didn't even send my registration in, just showed up and crashed (the attitude that I was crashing my own reunion actually helped me feel pretty good about showing up!)

Only one of the few friends that I kept up with after we graduated was going, so she and I sort of crashed together, and we really ended up having a good time. I'm very glad I went--all the bullshit I remembered, all the cliques and drama, were all gone, and it was just a bunch of us in the same sort of places in our lives, talking about what had happened to us all in the last 10 years. I wore Harely Boots and a tank top that showed off my tattoos (something that would have been scandalous in my high school days--Cort has a tattoo!), reminded myself that nothing any of these people think about me matters anymore, and I had a blast. I only talked to people I wanted to talk to, but I didn't limit myself to people who were my friends, either. Some of them, I just wanted to hear what they'd been doing with themselves, and I remember very distinctly thinking that most of these people, regardless of what I thought of them back then, turned into pretty cool, functional adults. It was nice, and refreshing, and really gave me a great spin on where I came from. So, yeah, from my perspective, GO, let loose, and have a back up plan just in case the party sucks. :)

Unknown said...

I had to miss my 10 year and I actually wanted to. My niece was being baptized the following week, I couldn't get a whole week off work to stay for both events, and I couldn't afford two plane trips, so I opted for the baptism over the reunion.

Anywho, I sort of regret not going. Not in "oh my god, how could I have missed that? My life will never be the same." More in a "It would have been nice to get to see some old friends and find out what everyone has been up to" sort of way. Our class had a website, so those of us that couldn't make it still got to see some pictures from the event. But I wish I could have gone, it might have been a laugh.

Tanja said...

I went to mine and it stunk. Just the same ol' popular people doing the same old things they did in highschool. I graduated from a school I attended for only two years, so those I became friends with I already kept in touch with and didn't need to see at a reunion. The rest didn't matter one whit to me. But I went to a big school in the city. My husband went to a small, county school and I loved going to his reunion even though I knew no one. People were just kinder.

The Apron Queen said...

Ack. Recently got my 20th HS reunion invite in the mail. Don't think I'll be going simply due to logistics, money, blah blah blah. I can think of better things to do w/ my time off & my money... like going surfing or burying my father in law in the sand. Just me though. Go if you can. Bail if it sucks.