Pages

05/18/06
Visiting with the Bahemian National Bird

Today is another port day, and Tony and I escaped the ship to do a little exploring on our own before our guided city bus tour and visit to the Zoo. (Because where do zookeepers go while on vacation? To other zoos of course!) Actually, the zoo/garden was really good. I was surprised. It's a small zoo, but you can really get up close and personal with the animals. Unlike American zoos, where you are separated from the animals by a fence, then a decorative hedge, then another fence, then a low concrete wall, the animals here are just a chain link fence away. One, I might add, that many visitors think nothing of sticking their hands through.

"Look Mommy! The hungry and bad tempered wild tiger is coming over so I can pet him!"

Also, just roaming around the zoo are about 100 flamingos. I have never been so close to so many flamingos in my life. Come to think of it, I've never been close to one flamingo in my life. But here, in paradise, they'll let you walk right through the middle of the herd. Flock? Group. I'll include the picture for you who need the visual to nudge your imagination in the right direction. I so totally recommend you hit the Zoo if you're ever in the neighborhood of the Nassau. Awesome little place. It's like a little private garden with a bunch of tropical animals thrown in.Dinner: Beef tenderloin with béarnaise sauce, broccoli and mashed potatoes. Two deserts, because 1) I could not decide between the chocolate Frenchie thingie, and the apple pie Frenchie thingie, and 2) I'm a gluttonous pig. But our waiter, Dijan, is only too happy to encourage diabetic comas, so he brought me both without comment. (Not that I've ever heard him comment, but still...)