Pages

9/10/07
Italian Beef

Since it's officially the start of NFL football, Tony has began his annual tradition of sitting on the couch and watching EVERY football game available, EVERY single day, EVERY time they come on TV. Even if he could care less about either team. I don't understand it, but it's Tony's tradition. My part of the football tradition is to make the Italian Beef. Since Tony is a Yankee, he grow up having Italian Beef sandwiches, which he no doubt got from authentic Italian delis in authentic Italian neighborhoods, because apparently they have those kinds of things up there in the Great White North. Anyway, we don't have little Italian neighborhood delis down here, so Tony's Italian Beef consumption has been sadly limited. But don't cry for him yet, because Tony also happens to be married to an occasionally thoughtful wife, who occasionally makes him some Italian Beef. Now, I will be the first to admit that my idea of cooking is 1) Open pop-tart wrapper 2) put in toaster 3) Bon Appetit, but this is so incredibly easy, even I can't screw it up. My recipe came from the cookbook that my mother-in-law's Women's Church Group creates every year as a fund-raiser. Tony's mom gave to me for Christmas one year (a hint maybe?) and I occasionally do some of the easier recipes. There are roughly five variations on the Italian Beef recipe, so I went with the simplest one, which seriously, has three ingredients, and one of them is water. (You just can't go wrong!) Plus, it's delicious, which equals bonus points for me in the Super Wife Department, and a happy Tony with full tummy and remote in hand.

And just in case you or a loved one ALSO has a tradition of sitting on the couch, watching every NFL game known to man, I'm including my recipe below:

Italian Beef

Need: One crock pot

Ingredients:
3-ish pounds of roast
2 packets Good Seasons Italian seasoning
1 small jar pepper rings (optional. I don't put them in because I dislike peppers, but you do what you want)
1 cup water

Listen carefully, because this gets tricky...
Put roast, seasoning, and water into crock pot. Turn crock pot on for 8 hours. Do leisurely activity of your choice. When your house starts to smell REALLY good (roughly the 4 hours mark), go back and shred the roast with a fork.

When the 8 hours are up, spoon beef and copious amounts to juice onto a Italian or French bread (or hoagie rolls if you're in a pinch). The idea is that the juice makes the bread soggy, but not enough to disintegrate completely. Top with melted cheese or peppers if desired. (I prefer a shredded Swiss or mozzarella myself, but feel free to go crazy).

So there you go. Guaranteed to keep a Tony happy for at least 6 monster-sized sandwiches. Or until the Thursday night game of the week...whichever comes first.