Pages

9/27/07
Google Maps Pedometer

Once again, I may be the last person on Earth to find out about this, but I thought I'd share anyway. I just discovered Google Maps pedometer, which allows you to map out a favorite walking route and record how many miles it is and calories you burn (based on your weight). I have a short walking route around town that is 1.3 miles, and a slightly longer route that is 1.5 miles. I walked the 1.3 on Tuesday and the 1.5 on Wednesday, at which time I developed a very large, very painful blister on my heel. (Stupid exercising!) The blister has put the kabosh on the walking for the time being, but the Google pedometer thing is still fun to play with. It's really very easy to do too. You just double-click on the map to make your path. The map automatically calculates the distance on each "leg" of the route, so you can play around with it if you're looking for specific milage. I also have the bike route to my favorite park mapped out. It may not help you exercise more, but it may put things into perspective if you know that the calories for that ice cream sandwich you're about to scarf down means 500 laps around the office building. Think about it.

Then eat that ice cream sandwich anyway.

2 comments:

smc said...

I can't get it to work! Help! I am not tech-savvy and I will probably never know how many calories I am burning!

smc said...

crises averted.