Pages

11/15/07
Don't Hate Me Because I'm American

There's an interesting article on Slate today about how other countries view Americans, and further, asks the question "What can we as Americans do to get other countries to like us?" (Sadly, it's no secret that the rest of the world thinks we're shallow and pushy and close-minded). The article goes on to say that through the Internet and Satellite TV, many countries can watch our movies and TV shows, but at the same time, they don't really understand real American culture. For example, South American students watch MTV's My Super Sweet 16 and think that every American teenager gets an expensive new car when they turn 16. (Ohhh, they only wish!)

The article suggests that other countries would like us more if they actually got to meet real live Americans in person. It cites stories of visitors being shocked to learn that we aren't all wildly wealthy and shameless partiers (well, outside of Hollywood anyway), we actually have a pretty strong family and work ethic, and most of the country has religious values. They're surprised that there are more than just blond Caucasians in America, and that we don't always agree with the official government stance on world policy. To fix our image, the article suggests that we should do more Peace Corps, foreign exchange students and Fulbright scholarships to get Americans out in the world, not only to see but to be seen.

I'm all for that. If I've learned anything from my business classes, it's that the World really is Flat, and it is a global marketplace. It's high time that Americans get back out and interact in it.

I'm also hoping that the proliferations of your genuine American run-of-the-mill blog, such as...oh, I don't know...this one, which focuses on the mundane day to day stuff, will help show international visitors (I know you're out there! I see your little dots on the map on the side bar!) that American life isn't quite so...bizarre. I eat, I sleep, I work, I hang out with my family. I'm not really as bad as my TV makes me look.

I guess the moral of the story is, if you're American, please please behave yourselves, because you're representing all of us. And if you're not American, don't judge us by our Paris Hiltons or Donald Trumps. We're not really all shallow know-it-alls obsessed with war...we just play one on tv.

1 comment:

Nan Sheppard said...

Ah, yes. This is a tough one! We get very cheap American cable TV, advertising products that are unavailable or too expensive for most people. We long for these cool products, we aspire to wear those clothes. Those of us who are in business producing something to sell cannot compete with JC Penney and Nike, and certainly cannot afford to advertise on cable TV! When I drive my kids to school in the morning, we wind up our windows to avoid inhaling pesticides that are banned in the US. They are, of course, manufactured in the US and sold to foreign small farmers who don't know that they are poisoning their village. That's capitalism! But this is not just "America". Big developed countries have been taking advantage of small countries since time began. It is not just about being nice people -my American family and friends are some of the nicest I know, and I just spent a lovely weekend shopping in texas- American foreign policy is a problem. I don't know what the solution is, but unfair trade practices, hard selling tactics and your corporate-owned media are bad news.