Pages

11/2/07
Music Meme

Whenever I'm reading other blogs and come across a meme that they've done, I make a note of it for those days that I can't think of anything else remotely interesting to write about...

And guess what today is.

So for your reading enjoyment, I bring you.....(drumroll)

The Music Meme!

The idea is to talk about 10 songs on your ipod/other brand mp3 playing device/burned CD/mix tape on cassette (just in case you're one of those people trapped in 1987 and haven't joined the age of digital music yet). If you have a blog, like a certain Seester I know, or a certain College Roommate I had, then upon seeing this meme, you are hereby officially "tagged" to do it on the next day that you find yourself with a nasty case of bloggers block. If you don't have a blog (because you're trapped in 1987 and haven't officially joined the digital age yet, or just because you don't like to write) then feel free to leave your 10 favorite songs in the comments section.

So here we go, in no particular order:

Hold On- KT Tunstall. I like this one because it's all upbeat and I'm on a real KT Tunstall kick right now. (I also have Black Horse and a Cherry Tree and Other Side of the World). I thought the intro had a kind of Indian sound to it, but the video shows her at a swing dance thing. Either way, good stuff, and a good dancing around the house while dusting song. (Not that I actually dust, but if I did, it'd be to this song).

99 Red Balloons- Nena. One of the best 80's songs OF ALL TIME, especially for a song about the annihilation of a city. I also like the German version (99 luft ballons) but I can't sing along as well in German.

Put Your Records On - Corinne Bailey Rae. I caught this one on the radio about 6 months back, and got hooked on it. Tony gets annoyed because I tend to sing it at the top of my lungs. (Why that annoys him, I don't know).

2 Princes- Spin Doctors. I like this one because it reminds me of when I was 12, which is how old I was when it came out. I've known all the words for like, 15 years now, and if you ever catch me totally jamming in my car, it's probably because this song came on. I especially like the part where it goes "be-do-be-deep, be-de-da-ba-doobe-doode-doobe-doobe-doobe". If you know the song, you know what I'm talking about. Feel free to sing along.

All these things that I've Done- The Killers. HUGE HUGE Killers fan. I have several of their songs. Tony actually even likes them, which is saying something, because he's usually more in the classic rock genre. Of course, I secretly reprogrammed all of the radio stations in his car to MY favorite stations instead, so maybe that paid off a little and he picked up some Killers. LOVE the part where is goes "I got soul but I'm not a solider". (I usually end of yelling that part at the top of my lungs, which by the way, is awkward when you're in the supermarket).

The Sweet Escape- Gwen Staffani. I'm not usually a Gwen Steffani fan, but like every other person in America who has been to a sporting event lately, I heard the song played over the loud speaker during a pitching change and the "wooooooooo-ooooo, WEEEEEEE-hooo" part got permanently imbedded in my skull. I figured why fight it?

Bette Davis Eyes- Kim Carnes. This is one of those songs that I'll love forever, even though Bette Davis had freaky scary eyes in real life. (I'm thinking hypothyroidism, but that's just my guess). And I like the hand clapping part because I'm easily entertained.

The Boxer- Carbon Leaf. Love me some Carbon Leaf, and this one is a particularly happy sounding song, even if it is about two people having a fight. I've just noticed that all these songs I've listed are really upbeat and dance-y. Wonder what that says about my personality? Hmmmm.

Missed the Boat-Modest Mouse. Here we go. Not a dancing song. And not really a happy song either, but certainly one you can sing along with.

Lightening Blue Eyes- The Secret Machines. I picked this one up about a year ago, maybe a year and a half. This is one of those that will stay with you all day, but you don't really mind because you enjoy singing it anyway.

Okay, so there's my 10 songs. Now when you see that crazy nut in the car next to you flailing and wailing and generally trying to dance while strapped to a seat, you'll still point and laugh, but at least now you'll know what songs I'm listening to.