Pages

10/31/07
Who IS that Masked (Wo)man?

Happy Halloween everybody!
This year I went as Zorro. (This is mostly due to the fact that I wanted an excuse to wear a cape).



Special thanks to Mom this year for helping me sew my Zorro shirt...and my Zorro cape...and my Zorro mask. I wouldn't haven been able to do this without her...especially the shirt. I bought this pattern from McCall's, and while I understand the basic idea of patterns, I haven't actually ever used one in the past. (My sewing is not bound by the constraints of patterns. I tend to be more freeform). But I'm embarrassed to admit that this pattern, full of secret symbols and confusing instructions that only people who actually really learned how to sew understand, was beyond me. Sad, I know, but the heroic Zorro was bested by the evil McCall's pattern. Luckily, the real Zorro had that mute partner/sidekick guy, and I've got Mom, who while far from mute, is an excellent seamstress. She gave up the majority of two weekends to help me with the shirt, and because she's a super Mom, she also did the cape and the mask. (It's kinda like when I was 7 and she did my costumes for me too).

My sword, in case you're wondering, is spray painted dowel rod, with the tip sharpened ala pencil sharpener. The handle is foam board and wrapped with Tony's black hockey tape (which he doesn't know I used, so don't tell him). Zorro was actually a fencing champion (seriously, I looked it up on Disney, where the original series aired), so it's important to go with a thin sword for authenticity. Yes, I broke down and bought the hat as is from Wal-Mart. I'm Zorro after all, not a milliner.
We have a costume party scheduled this afternoon. I'll let you know if anything exciting happens.

2 comments:

smc said...

You look great! The sword is the perfect touch. Did you win the office competition, or did some guy in a blonde wig win again?

Quirky said...

Sadly, the costume contest was taken AGAIN by a guy in drag. WHY WHY WHY is a guy in a cheerleading outfit and a bad wig so funny? Oh well. I had fun, and looked authentic, which is more than I can say for the guy with socks balled up in his shirt.