Pages

2/11/10
Brain Scanning

Some random things that happen to be rolling around in my head at the moment:

When Tony first goes to sleep, he lays on his back with his hands folded across his chest like the way they arrange the corpse for viewings at funerals. I don't think he even realizes that he sleeps like this, but it's a little creepy to me. I call it his "Dearly Departed" pose.

Does anybody remember those marbles with the magnets inside that you could stick together in long chains and slide around on the coffee table? For reasons I will never understand, a memory of them popped into my head just now. We didn't have them in our house, but someone I knew as a child did. I can't remember who it was exactly, but I remember several instances of playing with those magnetic marbles on some random coffee table. If you whipped the train around fast enough, the last few marbles would break the magnetic field and go flying off the edge of the table. The little kid me thought this was the coolest thing ever.

The Seester and I play a game where we try to decide what animal we (or others) would be based on personality alone. I said that I thought she would be an eagle due to her professionalism and determination. She said she thought I would be one of those lizards with the brightly colored hood that pops out at random times. Looks normal enough at first glance, but then you find out there's something really bizarre about it. I looked one up. It's called a frill neck lizard, and I'm trying to decide if I should be offended or not.


I'm currently on a real navel oranges kick. I have no idea why, but all of a sudden I can't get enough of them. I've been eating one a day for the last week. (Maybe I'm lacking in vitamin C?) Anyway, I tend to do this with fruit. Before the oranges it was bananas, and before bananas it was red seedless grapes. I read an article in Shape magazine that oranges help you burn fat (or something to that effect), so I'm letting this orange thing run its course. Then it will be on to the next fruit, whatever that will be.

I'm taking dance lessons (real ones, not just as a cardio burner- although I do that class also) at the gym, and my instructor says that I tend to stick my rear end out as I dance. We're working on the samba at the moment, and apparently the longer I samba, the further I tend to jut out in the back. (I fear that longer songs will end with me bent over at almost a 90 degree angle). I'm supposed to be working on keeping my shoulders and hips aligned. (I also have a tendency to try to lead when it comes to turns, but that's another matter). It reminds me of the old rhyme, "I know my heart, I know my mind, I know that I stick up (or in this case, out) behind!"

I've been thinking about it, and I've decided that there are three things that signal that things are going well and a woman is 100% in control of her life. One is fresh flowers in the house. The second is eyebrows are freshly groomed. The third is wearing fingernail polish. For some reason, these things make me think, "Wow! She's really got it all together! I bet she can do anything!" (I think this is because they're what I consider "nice but optional" and therefore the first things to go when life stops running smoothly. The flowers go first, then the fingernail polish, then the eyebrows). On good days, I can manage two of them at once. Right now, I have flowers and eyebrows, but only for another day or so on both.

I've just came across a new book at the library. It's called Pride and prejudice and zombies : the classic Regency romance -- now with ultraviolent zombie mayhem! Here's the review from the SLJ:

Austen's England is overrun with "unmentionables." Etiquette and polite society still reign, but they do become strained when, for example, the ball at Netherfield is interrupted by an attack on the household staff. In this parody, Grahame-Smith maintains the structure and language of the original while strategically inserting zombies into the story. The surprise is how little changes. Elizabeth Bennett is still known for her beauty and intelligence. Here, she is also known for her expertise in the "deadly arts," abilities that only make her a less-desirable marriage partner. There is the constant physical peril that echoes the menace underlying the original. In addition to a life of homeless spinsterhood, the sisters fear having their brains eaten, or being bitten and turned into zombies themselves (a fate to which one character does unfortunately fall prey). The unmentionables also magnify the satirical aspects of the story. A few key arguments, such as the final confrontation between Elizabeth and Lady Catherine, become all-out brawls to the death. (Lady Catherine is famous for her fighting skills and army of ninjas.) And of course Darcy is a renowned swordsman, known for his gentlemanly ferocity. The concept alone is worth a chuckle.

I'm sure Austin is turning over in her grave at the mere thought, but the idea was so preposterous that I couldn't help but laugh. It's so ridiculous its charming. I can't wait to start it. (And honestly, I admire the author's gall...Adding zombies to the classics sounds like something I would do). I understand that there's another book where sea monsters are added to Sense and Sensibility. If this one is any good, I may try to find the other.

So that's it. A quick peek inside my head. Oranges, the Samba, magnetic marbles and zombies. (You're starting to see the whole lizard thing now, aren't you?) But now it's your turn. What's in your wallet? head?