Pages

2/26/08
Quirky Answers your Google Questions

I checked my Quirky site meter, which tracks all you people who come visit me (don't think of it as big brother...think of it as market research!) and I noticed that there's been a lot of traffic from Google lately. Since I, like you, use Google to find anything, anywhere, anytime, I too understand what a wonderful invention the search engine is. But I also know that Google doesn't always give you exactly what you were looking for, so I'm taking this opportunity to answer some Google questions that led you to Quirky in the first place.

Favorite Google Searches over the weekend:

  • Is Sherbert okay for cats? This linked to the post about the new layout, which didn't answer the question, so I'm going to say no. I doubt sherbert would hurt a cat, but I subscribe to the notion that you shouldn't feed cats people food anyway. It makes them fat and teaches them to beg. And since sherbert is not a food found in nature, I seriously doubt that sherbert would be considered part of a healthy kitty diet.
  • Speaking of healthy diets, lots of people are also googling the "Cheerio lower cholesterol in 6 weeks?" deal. I've seen a few more commercials about it lately, but obviously the Cheerios website is slow to expound on the details of such a claim. Meanwhile, I'm on week three of my own personal Cheerios experience, which I enjoy with a cup of skim milk and a medium sliced banana. I'll get my cholesterol tested again at the end of the 6 weeks, but I don't know what it will prove since the accuracy of the first test has been challenged. Either way, I'll let you know. If nothing else, I'm getting my daily allotment of milk and bananas.
  • Here's another Google search question that somehow wound its way to me: "Blood in stool- when to go to emergency?" The answer is Now you dummy! Or at least head to your doctor, stat! As evidenced by the Health Book from Ye Ol' Company last year, Bloody stool is nothing to mess around with. Even if it turns out to be nothing, wouldn't you feel better knowing that everything is okay? Bookmark the site, go see your doctor, and then come back and enjoy some quirkiness. You'll feel better after you know what's going on erm...down there.
  • I also get a lot of searches about Roomba. This latest one is "Roomba and cats?". Let me assure you, my cats are not bothered at all by my Roomba, which continues to vacuum my house and thrill my soul. I think it's because the Roomba is so small. They feel like it isn't a threat because it is shorter than they are. Mason is so unconcerned by it that it accidentally bumped into him once while he wasn't paying attention. Mason jumped, but neither the cat nor the Roomba was harmed. Trust me, Roomba is the best thing ever!

    I also like to see what international visitors are Googling. Here's what our non-US friends were checking out this weekend:
  • Saudi Arabia landed on the Bloggy Sleepover about Makeup, which just goes to show you that dark under eye circles are an international concern. Pay attention UN.
  • Mexico asked about Cheerios. (Is there a Spanish name for Cheerios, or is it still El Cheerios)? Regardless, a Cheerio by any other name still...beats cholesterol.
  • Someone from the United Kingdom Googled "It's basketball time" and ended up on the post about watching the UT men's basketball game (who happen to be #1 after beating former #1 ranked Memphis this weekend. Whoohoo!). As the UK would say, "Well done chaps!"
  • Canada Googled "Ginger Ale can picture" which, had they used Google Images, would have ended up with this. Instead, they did a regular Google search, and ended up with this. Welcome to Quirky anyway, eh?
  • Someone in Norway Googled "The Big 3-O" which took them to The Big 3-0-0 post. I'm assuming that they were really worried about turning 30, not my 300th post. Let me put your mind at ease Norway...you're old now. Might as well sit back and enjoy the Quirky.
  • And finally, I don't know what the sudden interest is in caped vigilantes, but Australia, Israel, the Netherlands AND Hong Kong all hit my Zorro costume post over the weekend. I didn't even know that they had Zorro internationally. Pretty good costume huh? Mom's sewing prowess reaches worldwide acclaim.


So there you go. That's not an exhaustive list of all the Google hits from the weekend, but there's a good sample. If you have any other questions that you want Quirky to answer, feel free to send them my way. I'll answer it if I can, and if not, I'll Google it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How the heck do you find out all that google info of who's searched for what and got to you? I'm intrigued.

Anonymous said...

I use site meter from sitemeter.com. It's free, and it tells you how long people stay, where they're from, how they found you (through a link on another website or through a search engine) and what search words they looked with. If you go down to the footer at the bottom of the blog, you'll see the site meter button. Click on that and it will take you there.