Pages

1/8/08
Bloggy Sleepover Topic: Makeup!

Warning to male reader(s): This is a girlie girl post, so you can either run for the hills and wait it out, or hang out and be glad you don't use this stuff.

Like every other female in the entire universe, I'm on a hunt. The hunt for the perfect makeup. The problem, however, is not that makeup is hard to find, rather it's that there's just to blasted much to choose from. Millions of companies, with millions of price ranges, with millions of types, in millions of colors. Do you want anti-aging? Hypoallergenic? Acne fighting? Long lasting? Award winning? Tax filing? Cancer curing? And makes a great omelet? There's a makeup, nay, thousands of kinds of makeup for you. You would think that would be a good thing, but the other problem is that all of those above mentioned makeup companies also employ clear-skinned, blemish free, beautiful models with lovely airbrushed faces, so you can't really tell what makeup is actually good, and what is going to leave you looking worse than you started. (Makeup brands are like politicians, they look really smooth and helpful at first glance, but so many of them fail to live up to their promises that you don't believe any of them).

And so the hunt continues as women everywhere wade their way though millions of concealers, foundations, blushers, lip sticks, eye liners, shadows, dark circle correctors, glosses, lip pencils, mascaras, powders and eye brighteners just to find the one thing that works for them. Every now and then, if you are very lucky and the stars align and the you've just been living right, you'll find THE perfect something which does exactly what it says that it will do, and now you can't live without. And while makeup is a very personalized choice, it's also true that like relationships, your friends can probably tell you who (or what) is and isn't worth bothering with. So I'm curious, bloggy readers, what are you wearing (on your face, that is)? What have you found that you love? Just can't live without? Transforms you from morning pre-coffee zombie hag to flawless Catherine Zeta-Jones skin that lasts all day? Pretend it's a bloggy sleepover and spill all your favorite makeup secrets. We'll compare notes and later, watch scary movies while we do each other's hair! YAY!

Since it's my bloggy sleepover, I'll go first. For simplicity (and because I'm cheap), all my makeup shopping is done at wal-mart. My goal is long-lasting. I want to put makeup on once in the morning and not have to touch-up for the next 16 hours (bonus points if I can wake up the next morning and still look flawless). Some stuff I've found...some I could certainly use some suggestions.

Concealer/dark circle cover: My major concern is dark under eye circles. Ohhh, how I hate you, dark circles! I look like I haven't slept in years, even though I have. I've recently (last week) started using a new concealer called "Circle Rx". It's supposed to not only cover the dark circles, but lighten them permanently in two to four weeks. (I'm not sure how...revolutionary something or other with plant extracts and blah, blah, blah). Whether there are long term benefits or not, it does do a pretty good job of concealing what you have now, and sticks around all day without getting cakey or settling into lines.

Foundation: I also just started using Maybelline Superstay Silky foundation, and I must say, it it FABULOUS! It's silky, and lightweight, but has full coverage power and -get this! really does stick around all day! It took me forever to find my shade, even with the clear "shade finding" sheet that you hold up to your face, but once I had it, I loved it. Two thumbs up for my new even-toned self.

Blush: I don't have a favorite on this one. No brand loyalty here. Anyone know anything good?

Mascara: I used to have the problem of mascara oozing off my eyelashes and settling into my above mentioned dark circle pool. Since then, I changed to Maybelline Waterproof Lash Stylist with comb. Warning: it goes on clumpy and gooey. The comb really blobs it on thick and all your eyelashes clump together. But Patience grasshopper! Once your lashes recover, they'll separate again. The stuff does cling to your lashes like tar though, so if you want that natural lash feel, avoid this stuff. Each application hangs on for about three days, regardless of the cleanser you use, so you really only have to apply it twice a week.

Lipstick: I actually wrote about this stuff before when I first found it, but it's the Maybelline Superstay lipcover. Also designed to wear for 16 hours, and as long as I don't rub my lips, it does a pretty good job. It's got the dye on one end, and a shiny clear gloss on the other. My only complaint is that they need to make one with just 100% lip color, because I run through that pretty quickly, but I have a ton of the gloss left. If you're listening Maybelline, either increase the lip color size or make refills that can be switched out and still use the same gloss.

Eye Shadow: I have two eye shadows, and while both are okay, I'm not die hard for either of them. The first is Revlon Eye Glide Shimmer Shadow, and the other is other is a Merle Norman free giveaway shadow in "Locha Mocha". If anyone has some that they adore, let me know.

That's my basic makeup bag. I don't do lip or eyeliner, but if you like yours, let me know what you have anyway. I just noticed as I was doing the list that my favorite long-lasting stuff all seems to be Maybelline, but that doesn't stop me from trying other brands. Got a blog? Blog about it and join my sleepover. If not, see that comment button? You know what to do. (And if you have a great dark circle zapper, you are hereby required to share it. Right now. Seriously. NOW!) Pull out your best tips and tricks while I go change into my sleepover jammies.

4 comments:

smc said...

I don't wear too much make-up, but I think the best thing I've got is the long wearing lipstick by Mabelline.

What I'm picky about is my lotion. I use Revlon Revitalift for face and neck. It has a 30 SPF and firms and lifts- especially around the eyes. Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Clinique Moisture Surge Spray! Its like spritzing your face w/ water, literally the easiest thing on earth. They couldn't make it any easier for the lazy bum in me :) Feels great in the summer too! And my foundating is from Sephora, called Makeup Forever and it stays on very well.

Nan Sheppard said...

I have officially given up on most makeup. I use neutrogena eye cream, and clinique moisturizer with SPF 15, and occasional eyeliner, brow pencil and lip gloss. I figure Y'all will just have to tolerate my lines, dark blotches and occasional pimples. I refuse to try to look like I am 17 and airbrushed!

Nan Sheppard said...

I have officially given up on most makeup. I use neutrogena eye cream, and clinique moisturizer with SPF 15, and occasional eyeliner, brow pencil and lip gloss. I figure Y'all will just have to tolerate my lines, dark blotches and occasional pimples. I refuse to try to look like I am 17 and airbrushed!