Pages

7/22/08
Promote Privy Privacy!

Okay,
It's pet peeve time. Ya'll bear with me while I complain.

I just ran into the Ye Ole Company bathroom, and while I'm in there, I hear a woman in another stall say, "Is it out yet?"

"Excuse me?" Is she talking to me or to herself? Because if it's to me, that's really none of her business, and if it's to herself, then she's got some major personal problems to work out.

"Is it out yet?" She sounds kind of worried, and I'm about to ask her if she needs me to go get help when she continues.

"Cause I usually run it on low for 90 minutes....yeah 90...if you do it shorter it won't get fully dry".

Ya'll, she is on her cell phone in the bathroom! Carrying on a conversation from one of the stalls! In a public bathroom!

Now, I suppose I could understand if you were in a one-holer, and your cell phone rang and it was someone close enough to you that they've probably seen you go to the bathroom anyway, and you HAD to answer it (even though I don't know why you wouldn't just tell the person that you'd call them back), but to be in a public bathroom, with multiple stalls, and multiple people flushing toilets and washing their hands and whatnot? I don't even understand how you could hear with all that. And I certainly don't think the person you are talking to wants to hear that.

Plus, what about MY privacy? I'd like to do what I need to do without knowing that some stranger on the other end of your line is listening to everything. That's the beauty of the bathroom...there is no judgment, because everyone is in here to do the same thing. But the caller? She is blasting all the goings-on to who knows where.

So I ask you internets, what possible reason could someone have for talking on the phone while using a bathroom? Does that seem weird to anyone else? Is my ick-meter totally over-reacting? Has anyone else come across a potty-talker? Is it too much to ask to be able to pee in peace?

Contact your congressman! Tell him to join my campaign!

Be Polite! Promote Privy Privacy!

You can talk in the stairwell.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been there - both on the other end of the phone and in the stall nextdoor. Me, if it rings, I don't answer it. Just not my favorite place to be chatting casually.

I will say that I'm a chatter in the bathroom though. For some reason, I have no problem carrying on a (live) conversation through the stalls with a friend or stranger.

tootie said...

Haha! I totally agree. Cell phone talking in the bathroom is just plain weird. I can't imagine any conversation so important that it can't wait 5 minutes until they leave the bathroom.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree. It's just gross. I don't want to be on the other end of the line, and really, what could possible be that important? I recently was in a restroom and someone came in while they were on the phone, and proceeded to do their thing and leave, all while on the phone. Seriously? Can't you wait outside and finish the conversation before you come in?

Anonymous said...

Ick, ick, ick! I just don't understand it. Not to mention everything is echoey in those public bathrooms.

Jean said...

I actually did a very similar post on this about my Cell Phone lady at the office. It NEVER fails when I go to the bathroom she's in there on her cell. I can't tell you how many times this has happened.
I'm the weirdo halfway thinking..gee I feel rude flushing..then I come to my senses and flush with glee. Stick it cell phone lady.

Jean said...

whew I feel better! :)

Unknown said...

This happened to me once too and I was all like, "yeah..." I was answering their question! I as SO taken aback that I didn't know what else to do. Talk about embarassed.

I hate it when people do this. So not. cool.

Anonymous said...

I kept reading your title as "Promote Privy Piracy" and couldn't figure out why you wanted people to steal bathrooms.

Darn dyslexia.