Pages

8/24/07
And Now For The Feature Presentation

For the past year or so, I've been watching the gradual progression of the new Regal movie theater that's being built down here on Gay street. Every morning, I walk past all of the construction workers while they do their little construction worker thing, which I've decided mostly consists of standing around and watching one guy shovel wet concrete. Even so, it's been neat to watch the progress. In the beginning, they tore down an old building, which was fun. Then they pushed dirt into a giant hill. Then they leveled the hill. Then they built another hill. Then the concrete was poured. Then more dirt re-arranging. Then I watched them scurry around on the three story high steel beams like high wire acrobats with a death wish ("OSHA? We don't need no stinkin' OSHA!"). Then they were putting up walls and laying brick and moving dirt around again (what is it with this mound of dirt?) and wiring in electrical. I watched the escalators being installed, and the building get painted, and then get repainted with another color. I watched the Regal sign arrive, and then sit there for 6 weeks (we heard that there were problems with the Regal sign...apparently it was heavier than it was originally designed to be. I'd also just like to mention that my company didn't do that sign). The point is, I've gotten used to watching the progress. It's part of my day. The construction workers wave to me in the morning when I go by. I've come to think of it as my own personal Regal. Now, it is 99% complete and scheduled to have it's grand opening on Friday, August 31st. That's nice, but it's REALLY good news if you're poor, or cheap, or just like a certain thrifty Quirky blog writer who appreciates a good bargain, because the Regal is having preview events starting Tuesday August 28 and going through Thursday August 30th, and all tickets, soft drinks and popcorn will be $1 each on these preview nights. Yes, I said a dollar. 100 pennies. A good bargain. Even better, all the proceeds for these $1 nights will go to charity (so you can have your popcorn, and feel good about it too). Anyway, the preview movies include Disturbia, Evan Almighty, Meet the Robinsons, Knocked Up, Ocean's 13, Wild Hogs, Shrek the third, and 300. For show times, click here. Tuesday night will be Superheroes for United Way night, Wednesday will be Christmas in August to support the Empty Stocking Fund, and Thursday will be WIVK day, which benefits the East Tennessee Historical Society and has the added bonus of a fireworks show at 9:30 (not in the theater, of course). So there you go, great date night ideas all next week. Come out and support my new movie theater. It looks really good after all that work...especially that nice leveled pile of dirt.