Pages

6/6/07
The Purse Meme

I've seen this purse meme going around and thought I'd try it. (I know, I know, its a cop-out instead of writing real stuff. I'll shoot for witty and charming tomorrow). Anyway, the idea is to allow virtual purse snooping. This would be better if I was someone exciting like an international spy (video camera pin, exploding breath mint, poison arrow darts pretending to be eyeliner), or if I was Jane Goodall (gorilla pictures, gorilla poop, baby gorilla), or even a kleptomaniac (stolen pack of gum, stolen sirloin, stolen Hope diamond) but the best you get is quirky, and pretty normal quirky at that (if there is such a thing). You can tell a lot about a person from their purse though, so free to leave your purse-based analysis of my personality on the comment section.

I only carry one purse. I'm not one of those people who "accessorizes" purses to shoes or whatever. (Forget matching. I'm lucky to get out the door with a purse and shoes period. You'll never accuse me of being a slave to fashion). For me, the purse is just the vehicle to transport my necessary junk. It's black, and I carry it even if I'm wearing brown and even though it's summer. (I hear you all tut-tutting out there). I bought it at this classy high-end boutique called "Walmart" for $10. I'll carry it until it literally falls apart and the zipper jams and the purse strap breaks (6 months max), and then I'll go buy another $10 purse from walmart. Rinse and repeat.

This particular purse is in the styling of two zippered compartments with outside pockets. On the front, we have the cell phone carrying pocket and the PDA carrying pocket. Extremely handy, as I use these two things the most. Right now they both fit perfectly (which was the reason I bought the purse in the first place). Question for ya'll out there: My cell phone contract runs out at the end of this month, so I'll get a new phone then. I like the smaller flip phones, but then it wouldn't fit so perfectly in my little phone holder spot, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. (This is what the MIS book refers to as an "Ethical Dilemma"). Small phone vs fits perfectly in designated pocket. What's a girl to do? Discuss amongst yourselves and let me know what you decide.

Moving on. In the middle section, we have the sunglasses case, the Mearle Norman pressed powder foundation in Ultra Golden, a round brush with emergency pony tail holder, a rubber band reinforced pill box containing ibuprofen and Allegra (because once all the Allegra escaped and I had to dig them out of the bottom of my purse where all the dust and loose strands of hair live, so now it's rubber banded as an added security measure), a tape measure, key ring with keys and a plastic clear pig that Tony got when he worked at Smithfield Foods, and some OPI limited holiday edition glitter moisturizer called Candy Cane Juicie, (which was the free gift in December from Salon Barnes and Barnes where I got my eyebrows waxed a couple of times). Lastly we have mascara, lipstick, liquid concealer, eye shadow stick and eyeliner, also all rubber banded together (I'm all about the rubber bands) for ease in locating during makeup emergencies. All these things have to be settled in just so, interlocking like puzzle pieces, otherwise it doesn't fit. This purse is smaller than my previous purses, so it's at 100% capacity already. As a matter of fact, I had to really downsize the purse contents just to get this stuff in here. That's why you don't see the Uzi, emergency 3 day stash of food, full ratchet set, and magic 8 ball on the list.

In the last compartment we have a pen and post-its (for list making on the go), a small mirror, a tub of Mearle Norman power eye shadow in Locha Mocha (your free gift with purchase of Ultra Golden power foundation!), tweezers, really dull nail clippers, Blistex lip balm, powered blush in Brick Rose, $27 and random change (mostly pennies), and the following cards: credit card, driver's license (with an actual half decent picture, but the wrong address), check card, Food City card, library card (a must!), health care card, Kroger card, dental coverage card, 3 Red Cross certification cards (expired in March) and the list of CPR steps, voting card, gift card to a local restaurant (no longer in business), and the business card of a girl who cut my hair once when my regular girl was out. Sometimes there's a pack of gum in there, but I happen to be out at the moment. Better luck next time.

So there you go. The exciting world of my portable junk daily possessions. Everything I need to get me smoothly through the day. Well, except maybe for the Hope diamond. Having that would definitely help my day go smoother. Except that I'd have to get a bigger purse...