Pages

1/6/09
Blogger For Hire

So it's my first full day being unemployed. (Or as I like to say, "between jobs"...I think it lends a more positive attitude to the whole thing.) While some things have taken some getting used to (I keep looking for my ID badge everywhere) most things (like realizing that I finally have time to finish that project, or go to lunch with my Mom, or take that mid-day exercise class) have been pleasant surprises. There's something to be said for not being in your traditional 9 to 5er.

According to my official book provided to me by the transition coordinator, I should be going through stages of denial, grief, anger, guilt, and depression. Nowhere does it mention the general sense of anticipation that I have, so I'm assuming that it's part of my very well disguised denial. If that's the case, I'm so in denial that I seem to be unaware of it. I'm really hoping that I can hold on to this new, happy denial until a new job shows up and before I transition into the next phases. They sound decidedly less happy.

Anyway, I met with my transition coordinator today, and apparently job hunting is no longer about going to careerbuilder or monster.com and finding a job opening. Nononononono. No one really gets a job that way anymore. Today's job hunter is supposed to decide on what value you bring to potential companies, and then tell the companies how much better off they would be if they had access to those values. The companies realize that suddenly they can't live without you, and they hire you. (At least that's according to the transition coordinator). I seem to be waffling back and forth between "that is awesome!" and "that's too good to be true". I really really really want to believe that someone will want to hire me to do something I love. But if that was the case, wouldn't everyone have jobs they love? I'm having trouble visualizing myself walking into an office building and being like, "I like to blog. Please pay me to blog."* If that worked, there'd be a bazillion bloggers and no accountants. So I don't know. The jury is still out on that one.

*Unless of course, you actually work for a company that would pay me to write stuff, in which case contact me right now! I'll write about anything you want me to write about. Will blog for food and all that.

4 comments:

Pam B said...

Yup, you'd be a shoo-in for official company blogger. If you find a job like that, would you let me know?

Anonymous said...

well, I can't pay for bloggers yet, but I can offer up a space to get you stuff out in front of many eyes if you're interested. but I know that money is the most important thing.

Anonymous said...

You would do so great working as a professional blogger! You've got style and charisma, that's fo sho!

Anonymous said...

Go write your book, even if they've already made a movie based on it.