Pages

1/9/10
Green-Eyed Lady, Ocean Lady

So, here's a little fun fact to start your day. I'm reading an article and it says that green is by far the rarest eye color, with less than 2% of the global population having green eyes. (The mister and I both happen to have green eyes, which supposedly gives any future children a 75% chance of following suit, and the remaining 25% chance of being blue-eyed). Turkey has the highest percentage of citizens who have green eyes at 20%, but there are a number of countries (most notably in Asia, South America, and the Middle East), where green eyes are almost completely absent among the population.

Personally, my eyes tend to be an ever-changing mood ring of colors, because they seem to vary day by day. They range from grey-green to emerald to aqua-marine. Sometimes it depends on the light, sometimes it depends on what I wear, sometimes I think they just do whatever they feel like doing. (The photo below is from yesterday). They're finicky, my Irish eyes, but at least they're smilin'.

Anybody else have green eyes too?
Apparently we're a lot more rare than I thought, so we green eyes have to stick together.

The green eyes, yeah the spotlight, shines upon you. And how could anybody deny you?


(PS-Bonus points for you in you recognized the Sugarloaf lyric in the title and/or the line about Irish eyes or the line from Coldplay. I'm not sure why the sudden urge to quote songs...must be the green).

4 comments:

Mary said...

I've got green eyes too Bethers, and get compliments all the time ;-) yours aren't so bad yourself :)

rediscovery said...

My mom, sister, BIL, and I all have green eyes. Mine, like yours, change tints daily. Both Eli and my nephew ended up with blue eyes. Most of those in my extended family also have green eyes. Weird fact: my cousin's husband has one brown eye and one green eye!

Natalie said...

I have always wanted green eye. Instead, I got boring brown. They change colors too & vary from light hazel to a deep chocolate. Both the boys have brown, but my hubby has blue. Jolie had a 50/50 shot of getting either since I carry a recessive blue. She not only got blue eyes, but got it from my family. Her eyes are the exact color of my dad's, not hers.
Genetics can be funny sometimes.

Reluctant Housewife said...

My eyes are green. Booyah!

My kids didn't inherit them... One has blue, the other brown.

My husband's eyes are browny hazel, so I guess that kind of makes sense, genetically speaking.