Pages

8/18/10
Is There A Cat Psychic In The House?

Well we've certainly had an interesting morning this morning. Instead of waking up to birds chirping and flutes playing, Tony woke up to Mason peeing on him, and I woke up to him yelling about it. Then, while Tony was in the shower and I was sitting in the floor after stripping the sheets, Mason came right over to within arms reach of me and looked me dead in the eye while he pooped on the carpet. (Poor Tony, as if being peed on wasn't bad enough, he had to handle poo patrol too).

It seems that one of our elder fur-children is trying to tell us something.

It's not like Mason to act out, so there's definitely a message going on here, although darned if I can figure it out. (Anybody know what deliberately peeing on someone while they sleep translates to in cat?) I wish this was one of those times where the cats could just go, "Excuse me, but I've been trying to get your attention to tell you that I'm sick/upset that my favorite twisty-tie is stuck under the couch/annoyed that Bella seems to get all the best lap time when you're watching TV".

He's a good cat, he really is, and this isn't like him at all. Plus you can almost see the frustration in his little cat eyes as he stares at us, willing his mysterious message into our dense human skulls. I've tried to concentrate and decode his little physic cat messages whenever he gets all stare-y like this, but it usually just ends with me getting a headache. (Mason cannot believe how we humans have managed to survive this long, being as dumb as we are. The fact that we can access the refrigerator and he cannot also rankles). Anyway, apparently he's been trying to tell us something for weeks, and I guess he decided today that he needed to step things up a bit.

(And in case you're wondering, we haven't changed the food, the litter, the number of cats, any routines, the environment, or anything else lately. The cat is just cuckoo for cocoa puffs).

I called the vet and made an appointment for him, so here's hoping that they'll know what's going on. I'd like to think that this is his way of getting our attention (and boy, did he get it!) for something that is easily fixed, like maybe a urinary tract infection rather than just one of those nebulous cat behavioral issues. I'm going to be annoyed if all they can come up with is something like, "He's trying to establish alpha-cat dominance over the household". (If that's the case, alpha cats sleep in the basement).

Don't you worry, Mason. We'll get you figured out. There's something going on in the little kitty brain of yours, and we'll do out best to get to the bottom of it.

And hopefully before we run out of clean sheets.