Pages

4/7/07
Trillium Gap

Today was the first time I've ever woken up and wished that there wasn't a hike scheduled. Tony's got a nasty cold, and I believe that I'm getting the start of it. It's just that general lack of energy and ability to breathe that lets you know that there's a cold on the way and not a thing you can do about it. At times like these, conventional wisdom says to stay in bed, eat some soup and try to stay warm. Of course, I'm not conventionally wise, so I went hiking anyway. The hike was to Trillium Gap by way of Grotto Falls, and despite the fact that it was BEYOND COLD, there seemed to be a lot of traffic there. (I figure it was due to the old, "In-laws came in for Easter...what to do with them to keep them occupied and out of your hair? Take them hiking!"). Grotto Falls was one of the first hikes I ever did with the group, so that trail is a particular reminder of how winded and out of shape I was. This time, however, I felt...winded and out of shape. (I blame it on the cold and my cold, but it was totally embarrassing to be lagging further and further behind...again). My group did an excellent job of effortlessly leaving me in their dust, realizing it, and stopping to take extended breaks and photo opportunities until I caught up. The fact that it was no warmer than mid-30s and windy didn't help much. But other than my cold, and the cold, and my embarrassment of being out-distanced by children related to the above mentioned in-laws, it was a really good hike. The waterfall was fantastic (even if it was surrounded by ice) and the views were pretty impressive too. I'm glad I went, even if I will suffer for it tomorrow.