Pages

3/30/07
Doctor

For anybody who remembers the post about scaring the health fair lady with my slightly unusual pulse, you'll be happy to know that I had my doctor's appointment with a very good cardiologist yesterday, and he said that I'm healthy as a horse. He explained that Orthostatic Hypotension is a condition, not a disease, and that I'm doing a very good job of not letting it rule my life. I know how to handle it, and as long as I can keep myself from passing out, I'm fine. He said that there's no damage to my heart from having a racing pulse, and to continue to drink lots of water and eat all the salt I want. (How many doctors tell you THAT?) The hiking and the elliptical sessions were very good. He did do some tests just as a baseline, and I have an echo scheduled in a few weeks, but they're mostly just to establish a history for me. I'll probably check in with him every 10 years or so just so he can give me the thumbs up on how I'm doing. The $30 co-pay is worth it for the peace of mind that I've still got miles to go before I sleep.