Pages

4/8/07
Easter

This morning I woke up mad at Easter. I was mad that it was 30 degrees out instead of 70, like it was supposed to be. I was mad that I had to wear the same thing I wore to Christmas mass instead of my springy little sundress and white sandals, like I had wanted. I was mad that Tony had a cold. I was mad that instead of having the traditional Easter lunch with ham and deviled eggs and way too many deserts at Mom and Dad's, we were going to a regular restaurant for lunch. I was really mad that all of my tulips that had come up so nicely as a colorful backdrop for Easter pictures had all drooped over from the frost. I was mad that there were no Easter pictures. Where was the tradition? Where was the history? Where was my Easter basket full of candy?

And so, with bulky sweater and a good dose of mad, I went to Easter Mass. I managed to hang on to my mad right up til the second Alleluia song. That's about the time God sent angles down to smack me upside the head. Easter is not about the temperature outside, or what shoes I'm wearing, or whether we have deviled eggs for lunch. It's about Christ rising from the dead. That is WAAAAY bigger than droopy tulips or Easter candy. Properly chastised, I sang my Alleluias with the best of them. I went to lunch with my family, and even though there were no deviled eggs, there weren't any dishes to do either. And, as an added bonus that I totally didn't deserve, (what with missing the point earlier and all), my droopy tulips had revived in the sunshine by the time I got back home, and were standing tall and celebrating Easter the only way tulips can.