Pages

1/8/06
Car Talk

Tony thinks we should trade in my car for a new one. My current one is coming up on 90,000 miles, and apparently when you hit that magic number, expensive stuff like tires and the timing belt need to be replaced. Tony's thought is that it's better just to get a new car than to sink the money for repairs into a car that we might only keep a year or two more.

Here's the thing though. I LIKE my car. It's mine, and I've had it for almost 5 years now, and...and...I just like it. Yes, it's 9 years old, and yes, it has a lot of miles on it, and yes, the rear view mirror got mysteriously foggy, but it's mine, and there's nothing REALLY wrong with it.

Plus, Tony and I differ on essential car buying theories. I say, drive it until it dies, and then buy another used car and repeat process. Tony believes in trading in a car before it's on it's last leg...er, wheel, and buying new if possible. I think we've hit a compromise this time though. I have a really nice, fully loaded car right now, and I'm not downgrading to a basic model just because it's new. So we're looking at less than 10,000 miles 2006 models.

I looked at a couple of other makes and models, but I think I'm going to stay with the Sebring. I've been happy with the one I have now, and it's never given me any trouble. Besides, it's got a good no leak record, which is important with convertibles. Nothing worse than a leaky roof. And yes, I am getting another convertible. (This was another point of contention). Tony doesn't like the convertible. He doesn't like the feel of the wind through his...almost completely shaved hair. I however, love it. It's my therapy. By the time you hit the interstate on the way home, it's blown all your troubles away. Nothing better than a convertible on a warm sunny day. And since I'm the one driving it 99.9% of the time, I say it's important. I was a little concerned with his argument that whatever car we got next would have to incorporate a car seat, since the plan is to still have it when we start having kids, but I maintain that it's not THAT big of a hassle to put a kid in the backseat of a two door car. Just slide the seat forward. No biggie. In the end, the idea of getting a car with a regular roof (and no, sunroofs are not the same) just made me feel claustrophobic and depressed. So another Sebring convertible it is.

Tony's already scoped out the dealership lots. He called me today to tell me about several very pretty ones that he's found. I'm going to look at them this evening. I already told him that if they don't measure up to what I've already got though, I'm jumping back in my nice dependable car and driving away. The new car bug doesn't bite me. The guilt over abandoning a perfectly dependable car does. I got some of my wedding pictures made in that car. (Top down and veil flying).